Skip to content

On Talent

One thing I can do without, is this insistence from some that not only am I talented, but worse, that it’s a gift from some imaginary higher up and omnipotent benefactor/tress.  I take exception to this sort of  idiocy, it’s downright insulting and demeaning of all the hard work I have put into my art. Sorry, but what I have is not a mysterious god/dess given magical ability.

I have been interested in images from a very young age, been doodling and scribbling everywhere as a child and teen, and because I was actually looking and curious about lines and colors, I came to better understand them, this is not talent, it’s awareness.

I think there is an aptitude that helps in developing what is perceived as talent and it’s ones potential. My potential to be an astronaut is extremely limited as that would demand that I be interested, see passionate about such things as advanced maths, astronomy, and other sciences. Fact is, I suck in those fields of endeavor, I have very little interest in learning such things and therefore my potential to become an astronaut are nil.

Talent is not about style, about being famous or rich, it’s not about be popular or even demand that others love your art, talent is your potential in a given area of activity. This can be understood in part as your level of interest, of practicing, of time spent at understanding something. Above all else, I think talent is defined as how passionately you live potential.

Knowledge and technical skills are one thing, and this is desirable when one is a professional in any field. Talent is about your natural ability in something. I’d say it was something that, early on, becomes hardwired in ones brain. It’s how you react and live your environment, your instinct. We can speak here of behavior, that comes from knowledge absorbed as a child, about recurring patterns, thoughts and behavior. We often notice how consistent these patterns are in those we consider talented.

Talent is enduring and constant but it is not magical and certainly not endowed upon someone by a deity or higher power. It is time to acknowledge ourselves as fully sufficient and powerful enough as humans to develop our own talent, and this makes talent all the more special.

Joelle Circé

Posted by Circé on February 11, 2012
6 Comments Post a comment
  1. 02/17/2012

Hello and thank you for liking my post on Talent Samantha. 🙂

2. 02/12/2012

3. 02/11/2012

Hello and thank you William. 🙂

4. 02/11/2012

Hi Julie and wow, thank you for your comments. Yes, I just feel like screaming at those who cannot understand that it is the individual who has this natural, dare I say, innate, potential to latch onto some field of human activity, maybe from an early age and be so consumed by it that the individual develops this ability that in the eyes of others, seems almost magical.

Don’t get me wrong, I dig that others find me talented, because it informs me that what I have been so very busy doing since childhood is recognized. That’s a good thing, I just don’t want it usurped by imaginary omnipotent friends, I’ll own what I have become and done. 🙂

Practice and knowledge are important and should never be neglected in any field, not even the field a drawing and painting, specially not. If I can not draw well or paint proficiently then my potential as an artist is indeed wasted. I have never been one to sit and be overly philosophical about Art, I much prefer working in my studio and create but still, sometimes, I just have to speak my truth.

Again, it is a pleasure reading your comments, thank you. 🙂

5. 02/11/2012

Hello and thank you Rachel, this little blurb of mine came after someone said how lucky I was to be so gifted by god. Being an atheist, I wasn’t letting anybody dictate to me where I got this talent from, lol.

6. 02/11/2012

Wonderful article! I find myself incredibly annoyed by people who believe that their talent stems from a God or from magic or from guardian angels. I’m currently reading the War of Art because so many of my artist friends have recommended it to me. What I thought was going to be a beautiful book about fighting conformity and how to craft a productive life as an artist has instead proven to be written by someone who is very obviously religious and insists that talent comes from a mystical source. It’s too bad. Having said that, I do appreciate how the author makes a point to remind artists what distracts them from becoming professional, instead of being amateur forever.

Anyway, I really appreciate what you’ve written. 🙂